Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tips, Tricks & Challenges

This month's style/element is the close-up. The three subjects are 1) Something patriotic, 2) Water, and 3) Nature. We also had a BONUS: fireworks or sparklers.

Here is my first "Something Patriotic" submission:

This is part of a monument (you can see in the next photo) that stands at the La Mirada City Hall to pay tribute to those La Mirada citizens who gave their lives for our country. If you look closely, you can barely see the reflection of the American and POW flags that were flying directly behind me. I didn't notice until I got home because the sunlight was so bright and shining right into my face or I would have totally taken advantage of that.

Here is my second "Something Patriotic" submission:


You can't get much more patriotic than my dad. He is a WWII Veteran and is the most patriotic person I have ever known. A few years ago during Desert Storm my dad told me that if they'd take him, he would go. He is 82 and would still die for his country. I'm so proud to be an American, and even more proud to call this man my father. BTW, I don't have any fancy photo editing software or I would have loved to keep the flag in color, but this is all I can do with the Kokak software that came with my camera. What can you do?!?
Here is my first Water submission:


This is about as close as you can get to a waterfall. This is the waterfall at the La Mirada City Hall. Again, this wasn't the shot I would have chosen, but dh voted for this one, lol.
Here is my second Water submission:


I just thought this was a cool shot. I was really happy with the way the color of the water came out. Even the dirt looks a little artsy!


Here is my first Nature submission:


This is Baby, a little kitten who has adopted our family and made our yard his home. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but we're already trying to find homes for a great number of cats/kittens (in the double digits now!) and really don't need one more. He refuses to leave and just plops down whenever anyone is nearby. He was the perfect subject for my "subject".

Here is my second Nature submission:


Since Kindergarten, I have always found Eucalyptus trees fascinating. I thought the bark would make an interesting shot.

Here is my first Fireworks bonus submission:

I didn't think this was one of my best shots, but my dh made a case for it. Once he told me he thought it looked like an angel, I decided to include it!
Here is my second Fireworks bonus submission:


I loved the colors in this shot and thought it looked like a jellyfish.

These are the photos that didn't make the cut. Just for sharing!! The categories are pretty self explanatory.

Patriotic

This is the La Mirada Veterans Memorial that stands at the City Hall. It was really challenging to get a close up shot of it (so I settled on the inscription). This is a tribute to the men and women of La Mirada who lost their lives protecting our country. I was going to use this for the TCC Close-up challenge,(Something Patriotic), but went with another shot instead.


Water


I really liked this shot, but dh voted it down. TFL anyway!!

More Water

This one of the mini fountains at the La Mirada City Hall. It was remodeled recently and the area is bigger, but the fountains are smaller (and more difficult to get close to!).
Bonus: Fireworks


I would have used this shot, but dh liked the angel better. I thought the colors came out pretty good on this one.
Thanks for looking!!
Blessings,


Deb

6 comments:

Jane F. Smith said...

I LOVE all of your shots!!! tho one of your dad is GREAT! As soon as I saw the first fireworks shot I saw the angel too!! Great job on the challenge!!

Sandie Dunn said...

Hi Deb! Great work! LOVE them! I really like the first one with the flag reflected in the monument. That is just so perfect!

Mel said...

Deb, your photos are awesome!! No reason to run away screaming!!! The reflection in the monument is really great. Nice shot of your dad! The fireworks really do look like angels! Great job!

Marsha K. said...

I love love love the shot of your dad - fantastic!!!

Elizabeth said...

Great job! The photo of you dad is wonderful!! Love all of your shots!

Carol said...

All your shots are great, but the one of your dad is my favorite. You can see the pride in his eyes.