Sunday, September 7, 2008

Tips, Tricks & Challenges - Challenge #3 (Tourist Brochure)

Okay, so this seriously is a really dangerous theme for someone like me with such a bizarre sense of humor. Growing up in Los Angeles I used to often hear that our slogan was, "Welcome to California, now go home!" Rude yes, but you must admit it's a little funny. And since so many California natives are now moving as far away from the sunny state as they can I hope you can appreciate it and that I didn't offend anyone by repeating it. So on that note, here are my photos for my brochure "Welcome to Los Angeles" (actually this idea came to me when I was trying to decide which photos to use for the urban theme).



This is my "Welcome to Los Angeles" shot. These shopping carts were parked on Cenral Avenue and the owner was sitting behind it. You could see him in the first angle that I was going to shoot from, but I just didn't feel good in my spirit to include him in the photo and didn't want to exploit him any further. I drove around the block and parked and took this from across the street. I didn't realize there was a bit of a shadow in the bottom corner (and if I had any photo editing software I'm sure I could get rid of it), but I still liked it. After this shot my dh and I stopped and gave him $20. I wish we could have done more, the homeless situation in Los Angeles just breaks my heart.



This photo was taken near the 7th street bridge. I was trying to get a great cityscape of the LA skyline, but none of them really knocked my socks off. I just thought that this is probably how most people imagine all of LA and even though there are certain parts where this is commonplace, there are many really beautiful places just a hop, skip and a jump away. I hope to share some of those in future challenges. You can go home now if you'd like, but I hope you'll stay and enjoy what LA has to offer. I LOVE LA!! (I really do!)

Thanks for looking!!

Deb

4 comments:

Jane F. Smith said...

These actually are really wonderful and a person will see this going to L.A....nice job!

Carol said...

As a fellow Californian, I lauged when you said Welcome to California now go home. I remember thinking that on the 89 earthquake in the bayarea.

All the shots were great I really liked the urban building shot. Great stuff.

Mel said...

Love your shots! Great sense of humor!

Sandie Dunn said...

Hi! I love what you did with this part of the challenge! It's so not typical of a tourist guide and that's what makes it so great! It's exactly what you really will see. Now, that's thinking like a photographer! Well done!